Sunday 1 February 2009

The Mars Volta, The Bedlam In Goliath


US, 2008

Considering that Frances The Mute is the only Mars Volta album I almost dislike and that nothing they could ever come up with could possibly beat De-Loused In The Comatorium, The Bedlam In Goliath isn't so bad after all. Although the band's sound becomes somewhat repetitive in this album, that is compensated by the six awesome bonus tracks included in this upload. Also, if you're familiar with Omar A. Rodríguez-López's solo work, you'll recognize the sped-up song Ouroborous from his album Se Dice Bisonte, No Bùfalo (called Rapid Fire Tollbooth).
The Bedlam has a pretty strange story based on Omar's trip to Jerusalem, peculiar curses and a ouija board, which I obviously recommend you to read here.

Playlist:

1 - Aberinkula
2 - Metatron

3 - Ilyena
4 - Wax Simulacra
5 - Goliath

6 - Tourniquet Man
7 - Cavalletas
8 - Agadez
9 - Askepios
10 - Ouroborous

11 - Soothsayer
12 - Conjugal Burns
13 - Pulled To Bits (Siouxsie And The Banshees)
14 - Things Behind The Sun (Nick Drake)

15 - Back Up Against The Wall (Circle Jerks)
16 - Memories (Soft Machine)
17 - Birthday (The Sugarcubes)
18 - Candy And A Currant Bun (Pink Floyd)


Link.

4 comments:

Lara said...

yeah, the repetition in this album is what bothers me (which can be very notable on the track "Cavalettas") making it a tiresome album to listen to sometimes, and I agree with nothing beating De-loused. but hey, Frances isn't that bad..

hybrisma said...

it kind of is. I mean, I started listening to TMV with The Widow, but now I can barely even listen to that album.
aaand I heard their next album will mostly be their old stuff, except shortened and acoustic. not sure if it's true, but, still... ouch.

Lara said...

that's understandable, I always skip over The Widow. But I don't think you can say Cygnus or Miranda are completely horrible. /:

hybrisma said...

I don't really fancy Miranda, but Cygnus and L'Via are pretty neat.